Thursday, October 24, 2013

Jaames Dean - "The Big Rock" with Jim Rotondo (Try Out / Rehearsal) 1983

Jaames Dean 
with Jim Rotondo on Guitar 
(Try Out / Rehearsal)
 "The Big Rock" 
 1983

Jaames Dean
Danny Risberg - Vocals / Brett Scott - Bass / Drake Thompson - Drums / Jim Rotondo - Guitar 

Sadly this is the closest thing I have to a live tape of Jaames Dean.  In 1983 Gib left Jaames Dean and they were trying out new guitar players. A guy I got to know quite well through David Carey tried out for Jaames Dean and recorded this and gave me a copy years ago. His name is Jim Rotondo. One of the funniest characters I ever met in my life. He didn't make it however. Some guy by the name of Jack Arpano did. Jaames Dean would pick out great songs to cover. This is my favorite one from this tape however I didn't know the title of it.  I had Ken Burg who is always in touch with Brett & Drake and had him ask them for the title of it and here is the reply I got back.


On the mystery tune of the week, our first contestant, Brett Scott from Huntington Beach, California answered:

"It's vaguely familiar. I know it's us, mostly because of the noodling after the main tune. Talent shoe?"

So sorry, that is incorrect, but thank you for playing. Our second contestant, Mr. Drake Thompson from Bedford, New Hampshire answered:

"Pretty sure the song is "The Big Rock" by Jamie James and the King Bees.  How I remember that is weird since I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday!"

DING DING DING DING!!! I think we have ourselves a winner!!  

Thank you Ken and Drake and Brett!!

Jamie James & The King Bees
Easter Seals Telethon
1981

Here's The King Bees doing "The Big Rock".


No comments: